Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Idol thoughts

I really have nothing against American Idol. Honestly. It’s the most popular show in the country and tens of millions of people seem to enjoy it, God bless’em. It’s not my cup of tea, so I choose not to watch it.

Sounds pretty simple, right? Live and let live. You do your thing and I’ll do mine.

Only problem is, see, I do enjoy watching the local baseball team. Much like American Idol, I understand that the Red Sox are quite popular, and like millions of folks across New England, I catch my fair share of games on NESN. And when there is a game on every night, there tends to be the same commercials every night.

And who is the star of the one commercial that seems to be on a continuos loop between every half inning? None other than American Idol winner Taylor Hicks.

Why Ford thinks I’ll be inclined to buy a pickup truck because this spastic gray-haired Karaoke singer is stumbling and spinning across some sort of Vegas truck showroom, shouting I GET WHAT I NEED .... possAbillATEE!, I do not know.

But I really, really, do not like it. If anything, the commercial could convince me to buy a Chevrolet pickup, just to spite Ford, even though there is no good reason why I even need a pickup truck. Seriously, the commercial almost makes me nostalgic for the Curt Schilling pickup commercials (I’m here to break an 86-year-old curse). Calm down, I said almost.

Please, whoever is responsible for this commercial, please just make it go away, so I can go back to enjoying my baseball games while happily letting the world of American Idol go on without me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

The thing is, I love the Idol but hate Taylor Hicks. I long for the Kelly Clarkson Ford commercials.

Taylor Hicks is reaching Tim McCarver levels of "making me hit the mute button."

I would like to enjoy a David Ortiz at bat without fear that Hicks is going to scream at me during the next commercial break! Honestly, NESN, get on the stick.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q: Where does a hillbilly have his overalls altered?


A: At Taylor Hicks'!!! Ha ha ha

3:27 PM  
Blogger ChrisSligh said...

Love or hate American Idol, you may enjoy my musings on the show as I go through as a contestant. Check out americanidolmusing.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Chris

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home