Monday, March 26, 2007

Reluctantly doing my part to help the environment, kind of

Did you know that every year, the discarded styrofoam coffee cups from a single Dunkin' Donuts are responsible for the melting of 3,500 cubic feet of the polar ice cap? You didn't? Good, because I just made that up. Still, damn, those styrofoam cups can't be all that good for the environment.

And since I have a certain reputation with certain people I'm married to as being an environmental terrorist, I have actively, if somewhat grumpily, begun to think of ways that I can help the environment and the polar bears and the future generations and everyone and everything else that doesn't want to spend the rest of eternity living in a green house. So, at work, I have decided to stop using disposable styrofoam cups when I get my really bad fifty cent cups of coffee. Of course, I haven't broken down and bought my own cup, so right now, I'm using a coffee mug from the local bank that I'm hoping the previous owner washed well.

The only potential snag in my plan is that I'm not always that on top of rinsing out coffee cups at work after I use them. Which means that eventually, even the ceramic coffee mugs become disposable for me. Which means that I'm probably not helping the environment. And, if anyone at the office is missing a Donald Duck coffee mug, uhh, sorry. You wouldn't have wanted to see what it ended up looking like, anyhow. But I will try to be better, with the rinsing, and the saving of the polar bears and all. I'll let you know how it goes.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home