Saturday, March 28, 2009

Radio from a different time

Boston radio legend Larry Glick died last week. I was pretty much a young'un when I listened to Larry Glick on WBZ radio, so I don't have a lot of memories of his characters or what he talked about to while away the midnight hours, but I do remember the thrill of listening to my transistor radio under my pillow when I should have been sleeping. While a lot of kids would sneak in the flashlight and comic books after lights out, I was definitely a radio guy.

I do remember that listening to Larry Glick when I was 10-years-old was like being let into a secret grown-up world that mixed a good amount of silliness and gentle absurdity into the issues of the day. Unlike today's talk radio world filled with yelling, screaming and rigid talking points from the left and the right, Larry Glick was kind to his listeners and callers, almost to a fault. He was a friend to insomniacs and third-shifters of all sizes and stripes all across the Eastern seaboard. Some nights, it seemed the show served as a sympathetic ear for some lonely people who may have had few other friends. And God bless Larry, not only did he provide an outlet to let a lot of people feel better about themselves and their lives, but he could also make it interesting radio for all of us listening in the dark.

I'd hate to think what Larry would have thought of all the current crop of political and sports shouters and haters that muck up most of the current air waves. Who knows, maybe he would have taken it all with a grain of salt and been able to get them to calm down a little bit. Next caller ...

3 Comments:

Blogger Suldog said...

Glick was an original, and a great favorite of mine. I listened to him often growing up. Sad to hear about his passing, but great to be reminded of him.

12:38 PM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

Radio is still king. Isn't it?

8:55 PM  
Blogger endangered coffee said...

david, i think you are right. I'd give up TV before the radio.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home