Friday, April 03, 2009

In which me and my best friend think about rocking the world, then drink beer instead ...

It was a brilliant idea. Okay, we probably didn’t even think it was that hot of an idea when we first came up with it, but it was an idea. Randy and I, true connessiurs of all non-Living Color music, would rock the world with our own band. Of course, the path to fame and glory is never easy, and Randy and I confronted several problems right off the bat. But we were not deterred from our dreams of one day creating the music that would serve as the soundtrack to some crappy laser light show.

First problem, neither one of us knew how to play, or even owned, an instrument. Somehow, our addled brains got us far enough to determine that I would play guitar, and Randy would play drums. Or Randy would play bass and I would play drums. Or I would play the washboard and Randy would 
blow into an empty moonshine jug. As for learning to rock, Randy decided that his brother Roger would teach whichever one of us was the guitar player how to play guitar. I preferred the option of having Kenny teach us, so we could hit the stage and play a neverending loop of the first 30 seconds of Sweet Child O’ Mine. 

Second problem we had was that there were only two of us. In those heady pre-White Stripes days, a two-person rock and roll combo was virtually unheard of, unless we decided we wanted to be the Everly Brothers. I think we recruited our friend Dave to play whichever instrument the two of us weren’t going to pick up and master in a matter of weeks. I don’t think it ever got to the point that Dave knew he was in our band. He would have just slowed us down with a desire to play Rush covers, anyway.

And that’s as far as it got, although I think I did suggest the name Slaughterhouse Five for our band. Randy thought it was a stupid name. And he was right. I’m hoping someday we can put our artistic differences aside and launch a reunion tour.

7 Comments:

Blogger Suldog said...

LMAO, especially considering my posts of late. Rock on, EC!

4:39 PM  
Blogger lime said...

hey, do ya need a tambourine shaker? i'm your girl!

7:48 AM  
Blogger DBWhits said...

Damn you guys, I never knew I was the third member of your imaginary band...
But in all likelihood I did know at the time but damned if I remember now.

And to think that we could have so rocked "A Passage to Bangkok"!

9:54 AM  
Blogger endangered coffee said...

DBWhits! Miss you, man (in a very hetro way)! get you ass on facebook

10:06 AM  
Blogger The Male Goddess said...

Dave,

It was NOT imaginary! Just unrealistic. Good news is I am thinking of getting the band back together. I sort of remember "One Night in Bangkok", but I wasn't thinking it fits our sound...

2:23 PM  
Blogger The Male Goddess said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:23 PM  
Blogger DBWhits said...

Quite a few years ago I put together a profile on Livejournal.
http://dbwhits.livejournal.com/
For a while I kept it up to date but the past year or three I've fallen off with my updates and posts.

Given my lack of updates on THAT, I've tried my best to avoid Facebook, Classmates, Twitter and any of the other wacky things the kids are doing these days.

Maybe one of these days I'll get back to updating Livejournal...

Randy I guess you're right, we whould have been more along the YYZ lines, the less lyrics the better.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home