Thursday, December 19, 2013

An open letter to a website I'll no longer be reading

This morning as I drank my coffee, Salon.com went one celebrity sex worker story over the line. Rather than doing something useful with my time, I wrote them a Facebook message I'm sure some intern will be forced to read.

It's kind of sad that I have been reading Salon every day since I learned that there was an internet and I could go on the computer and read things that interested me. Things like intelligent reviews of movies, music, and books and articles highlighting progressive politics.
But for some time now, that has been far from what Salon is, and I will no longer be clicking every day. I'm sure I will be in to take a peek once in a while, old habits do die hard, but I can no longer take the constant stream of sex worker, penis size, and affair articles. You can dress them up in the thin veneer of pseudo-academia or ape the memoir-obsessed culture we've become, but it's still little better than a gussied-up version of HuffPo's slideshows filled with celebrity side-boob shots.
Even the political coverage has become increasingly hysterical over the years. You realize that 95 percent of the people who read your site are on your side politically, right? Constantly highlighting the worst of the worst that the political right has to offer while offering few solutions or even pretending that there may be Republicans who don't burn babies does little to further any kind of reasonable debate in Washington or anywhere else.
So thanks for 15 or so years of internet fun and education, at least for many of those years, but it's time for me to conveniently lose my bookmark to your website. I get the feeling I'm not the only one.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

,,,and the problem with side boob shots is?

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not your father.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hahahaha, not my father at all. Thankfully the internet has plenty of places to go for full boob shots.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I <3 your father, side boobs and all. This isn't from anyone you know in Eugene. Totally random.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

All these anonymous posters are really throwing me for a loop.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home