Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The musical wall

One of the benefits of working quietly in a windowless cube is that I get to put on my headphones and listen to my music, pretty much continuously, eight-and-a-half hours per day, if I so choose. With my iTunes collection approaching 3,000 songs, there’s typically something I feel like listening to, or I can simply hit shuffle and let the computer do the work.

Today, however, as occasionally happens, I hit the musical wall. I scrolled up and down my library, and not one blessed note was there that I wanted to listen to. Replacements, Ramones, Pulp, Miles Davis, way too much Grateful Dead that I had downloaded on the off chance that I someday would feel like listening to way too much Grateful Dead. Punk, jazz, classic rock, Britpop, rap, reggae, even some country stragglers. Nothing. I just stared blank-eyed at it all and was not moved.

Maybe it’s just the brain’s way of telling me we could all use a little quiet now and again. Or maybe it’s that there is something out there that I have enver heard before that will fill me with such musical astoundishment that the angels singing at the Pearly Gates will pale in comparison.

I’m open to suggestions.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

As a proponent of the silence option, I'd say give your brain a rest once in a while

5:11 PM  
Blogger endangered coffee said...

Ohh, don't worry. My brain gets lots of rest.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Suldog said...

Have you heard Brian Setzer's classical album, Wolfgang's Big Night Out? Great big-band treatments of popular classics. Superb drumming.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Suldog said...

Oh, I did a review of it, should you want detail.

http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/2008/01/looking-for-perfect-groundhogs-day-gift.html

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home