Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Daily affirmation, inspiration, or some such crap like that

Inspiration is a wonderful thing, you never know when it will hit you. Only problem is, the bastard doesn't like to waste a lot of your time. For me it's writing, for some of you it might be making music, cooking, painting, turning over a new chapter in your life, and for all of that and more, 'tis a great thing when inspiration strikes and we make the most of it.

The only problem is, we may only be inspired in our pursuits once a week, month, year, etc. Unfortunately, a lot of the rest of the time involves sitting on our asses eating potato chips waiting for that magic moment. But you know what, there is a little secret that can help get those inspirational juices flowing, ready to strike down out of the heavens (or evolve over time if you prefer a Darwinian world view). Are you listening Oprah. A Secret! I expect to be on your coach by November at the latest.

Well, the only problem with this secret for finding inspiration is that you might not like it. I know I sure as hell don't like it. It's called working, schlepping, plugging away, putting in the hours when you would rather be sitting on the couch eating potato chips, and good goddamn, I love me some potato chips, especially when you throw a container of french onion dip next to them.

You see, I really, really didn't want to write today. I was thinking I might have something more interesting to say tomorrow. Maybe my license plate will fall off again, maybe I will need to have my blood drawn, you know, the truly inspirational stuff. But just because something that MINDBLOWINGLY exciting might happen tomorrow, it does mean that I shouldn't put in the time today. Too often for me, putting something off for a day leads to two days to a week to a month, to a, well, you get the picture, I feel I may not be alone in this particular quirk.Nothing worthwhile in this life comes easy, comes for free, blah blah blah.

Back soon with more inspirational uplifting crap. (Oprah, send me a message to my inbox, we can work out the details.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Madwomanranting said...

I'd think you were pointing your quill at me, but then I'd be excessively narcissistic. Point taken.

9:11 PM  
Blogger endangered coffee said...

I was only pointing at myself.

9:27 PM  
Blogger The Male Goddess said...

That was pretty inspiring. My thing is eating potato chips on the couch and lately it's been hard to want to, you know? You Know? I know you know! But as you say, we need to power through it so that when we DO want to, the gears are well oiled. At least my arteries.

Thanks!

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I prefer M&Ms on the couch...

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home