Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A new old computer

Very exciting news, I bought a new old computer today to replace my old old computer. For the past year, Endangered Coffee has been created, for the most part, on a previous 3400 that had virtually no memory. When I say for the most part, I mean that about all I could do on the Powerbook was write my entries in Appleworks and then cut and paste them into blogger. That's right, my Powerbook was too slow to handle the actual typing on Blogger itself.
As for downloading photos, well, that was a total lost cause. All the corny graphics you've seen over the past year actually had to be downloaded through Carrie's computer.
On the plus side, I did get the powerbook for under $50 on Craigslist, I eventually found a compatible wireless card, and it did get me through the past year. Of course, between the old operating system, use of nonOffice software, and lack of any USB ports, it was basically incompatible with the rest of the world.
So what kind of shiny new computer did I get? A flashy new MacBook Pro or a one of those fancy new Dell alien looking laptops?
Nope.
Once again, my computer comes courtesy of Craigslist, this time spending in the stratospheric $60 range for a Toshiba Satellite 2100CDS. There's no CD burner or DVDRom and only one USB (1.0) port, but it did come with a fresh copy of Office 2000, I've got the wireless hooked up, and it runs at a very respectable and unembarrassing speed. I can now download goofy artwork for my blog, listen to the Sirius radio stations and even check out the weather videos on Boston.com.
It's almost like I'm on the cutting edge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home