Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Creature Double Feature II

Okay, this is mostly a shameless attempt to direct more traffic to Endangered Coffee, but I hope you will find it to be a noble shameless attempt.

Through the wonders of sitemeter, which I finally added to the site last month after nearly two years of blogging, I've found that, far and away, the most hits I get through Google are from people looking up Creature Double Feature and pulling up an entry I did about a year ago. I won't rehash that entry now, other than to note that there are still a lot of people of a certain age in this part of the country who still have a remarkable fondness for vegging out in front of the television on Saturday afternoon and watching Gamera and Godzilla.

So let's use this as an opportunity to share our favorite Creature memories in the comments section. As I think I've mentioned before, the Japanese monster movies get top billing in my book, followed by the American flying saucer movies of the 1950s, with the Hammer films bringing up the rear in the mind of an oversugared ten-year-old.

I also think there's a fondness for Creature2Feature because it was offered up free from the ironic subtext that later popped up with Elvira and Mystery Science Theater 3000. Sure, even a 10 year old knew these movies weren't Hitchcock or Citizen Kane, but we were able to appreciate them on their own merits, bad dubbing and all.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad dubbing?
Wait, you mean that's not the way that Japanese people speak English?

Dave

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was always partial to the Dracula pics. I believe Hammer produced that one and "the Mummy". Both very good, and nightmare inducing for a young 10 year old.

Good times!

Scudder

4:37 PM  
Blogger David Sullivan said...

My bro was a "creature" addict. What was that mini godzilla-like monsters name?

7:03 PM  
Blogger Suldog said...

I always liked the "so-and-so vs. so-and-so" movies, like "King Kong vs. Godzilla." Most of those were Japanese, and cheesy as hell, so you got laughs along with your thrills.

"Creature Double Feature" was a great way to veg out on a Saturday afternoon. As I remember, it followed right on the heels of the wrestling show, right?

Other favorite monster flicks...

Frankenstein (just about any of them, but especially the Karloff original)

King Kong (the original)
Son Of Kong
Mighty Joe Young (again, the original)
(I like big monkeys)

The Thing
The Fly
(Both the original and the remake with Jeff Glodblum)
The Incredible Shrinking Man

1:16 PM  
Blogger Ericka said...

hi. wandered over from suldog's blog.

ooh, i LOVE creature features! my favorites are the giant-creatures- squashing-some-town movies. i couldn't talk my friend into watching 'supercroc' with me this weekend, and i'm still bitter about it.

i also thoroughly enjoy the ones that you can turn into a drinking game - like 'anaconda' - guess which stereotype gets eaten next! so fun.

now i wanna go watch movies. :-)

7:49 PM  
Blogger plez... said...

as a pre-teen, i liked nothing better than to "watch" Godzilla slog through some nameless Japanese city destroying everything in sight... and then dealing with the nothingness blah's (maybe i was coming off a sugar high from the 2 bowls of Cap'n Crunch) when he slowly sunk into the ocean at the end of the movie.

8:33 AM  
Blogger "Dootz" said...

Godzilla vs. Mothra.

MST2000 rocked.

******
http://surfcountry.blogspot.com

8:08 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I used to LOVE creature double feature, every Saturday afternoon. After Tarzan with Johnny Weismuller, of course....

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm another fan of the infamous Mothra.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home